No antibiotic treatment; otherwise a drug holiday of 48 to 72 hours must be respected.
In case of discharge, perform a urethral swab; if there is no discharge, perform a first morning urine collection.
18.104.22.168 Acute urethritis
There may be secretions present in the morning. If so, collect it using a sterile swab.
– clean the penis with Dakin’s solution or benzalkonium chloride;
– squeeze the penis from the proximal to the distal end;
– collect the drop on two sterile swabs;
– use one of the swabs to make a smear on a microscope slide;
– take everything to the laboratory.
22.214.171.124 Chronic urethritis
If there is no discharge, recommend that a first morning urine collection be done in a sterile bottle for a Chlamydia work-up, which is carried out as follows:
– Using a marking pen, mark the filling level of the bottle (close to 1/3).
– Set out 2 swabs of benzalkonium chloride or Dakin’s solution, gauze dressing and several milliliters of sterile normal saline for rinsing after disinfection.
– The patient should wash his hands.
– Disinfect the penis with the benzalkonium chloride.
– Rinse using the gauze dressing soaked with sterile normal saline.
– Collect 8 to 15 ml of the first morning urine upon waking (line marked on the bottle).
– Label the bottle if it was not done by the laboratory and take it to the laboratory as soon as possible.