7.1.1 Semen culture
Preferably no current antibiotic therapy.
– Empty the bladder before the semen collection.
– Thoroughly clean the hands and the glans of the penis with the Dakin’s solution, then with the normal saline.
– Mechanically collect the sperm through masturbation in the sterile container provided.
– Label with first and last name if it was not done by the laboratory and take it to the laboratory as soon as possible.
NB: Sexual intercourse is allowed but using a condom without spermacide or lubricant; sampling can also be done at home before being taken to the laboratory within one hour.
7.1.2 Semen analysis
– Abstinence: the collection should be done after a minimum of three days and a maximum of five days of sexual abstinence.
– The sampling should be done at the laboratory if possible between 8:00 and 9:00 am; if not, bring it to the laboratory within minutes following the collection and record the time.
– A condom without spermacide or lubricant that is provided by the laboratory may be used.
NB: To be done preferably at the laboratory
– Wash hands with soap.
– Clean the glans of the penis with Dakin’s solution and then rinse with sterile normal saline.
– Mechanically collect all the semen in the sterile container.
– the sampling is not done in the laboratory, take it to the laboratory while keeping the container against the body (inside a coat for example).