The blood culture sample must be systematically done for any unexplained fever.
This sample should be done:
– preferably without the use of any antibiotic therapy
– aseptically, repeated and with a sufficient quantity (from 3 to 10 ml for the inoculation of hemoline flasks, and for BacT/Alert flasks 5 to 10 ml for adults and 2 to 4 ml in children),
– during fever spikes (38.5°C and above) or in hypothermia with infants (< 36°C).
18.104.22.168 Sample per syringe
– Turn off air fan if present.
– Wash hands with soap, and then clean them with alcohol.
– Clean the stopper of the blood culture flask with tincture of iodine and leave the iodine swab on the stopper.
– Place the tourniquet.
– Locate the vein.
– Clean the skin with tincture of iodine and then 70% rubbing alcohol.
– Prick the vein using the syringe and aspirate a sufficient quantity of blood for inoculating aerobic and anaerobic flasks.
– Withdraw the syringe and the needle; discard the needle in a hard sharps container.
– Place a new sterile needle.
– Inoculate the blood culture flasks.
– Mix by inverting the flasks (3 to 5 times).
– Label the samples and have them transported to the laboratory as soon as possible.
– Place them in the incubator at 37° C.
22.214.171.124 Evacuated tube collection system
– Use the large needle holder adapted for the blood culture bottles, and use a BD vacutainer sampling device with tubing (the latter facilitates changing the needle holder when other tubes need to be filled),
– prick the vein,
– let the blood flow into the bottle until it stops,
– label and have it transported to the laboratory for rapid incubation at 37° C.
NB: If the sampling is done with a syringe and other samples are taken with the blood culture, first fill the tubes and then change the needle before inoculating the bottle(s).
If an evacuated tube method is used for sampling, begin with the blood culture bottles before filling the other tubes.
When using the BD vacutainer sampling device with tubing, fill the aerobic bottle (so as not to transfer air contained in it) before the anaerobic bottle.